Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Numero Uno

I’ve finally done it. I’ve broken down and got a blog *other* than LiveJournal. Don’t worry, my LJ friends, I will continue posting over there. I can’t exactly re-create my high school blog entries :)

So let’s get started:

The countdown is on – less than 2 months before I’m getting hitched to my best friend! After that comes an incredible honeymoon…somewhere…I hope…nothing is concrete yet, which worries me. I left the honeymoon entirely up to him with two exceptions 1) No tent 2) No sleeping bags. I'm just saying. I thought those were perfectly appropriate and extremely necessary stipulations. But at this point I don’t care if I’m sitting in my townhouse in Charlotte. As long as I’m not going to work for a week, I think I’ll be pretty happy!

To update everyone (most of whom I would assume is in the dark on these new events): I’m going to wind up in Maryland again. I know, if you’re keeping count it started as me going to Maryland, then him moving to Charlotte, and now I’m back to Maryland. Hopefully other decisions won’t be this difficult in the future. Don’t believe anything we say until it happens.

Basically, I went to Brad awhile back and expressed my frustrations with where I am now. Don’t get me wrong, I work for a phenomenal company and I love my co-workers. But it’s virtually impossible to move up right now since they’re getting 800+ applications for each position. I’ve been out of school for 3 years now and can’t get anywhere higher than an assistant/glorified secretarial position. It just stinks because I did everything “right” in college – good grades, extracurriculars, internship, lots of job experience. So I told him that if he would support me in going back to school (financially and emotionally) that I would move to Maryland so he could keep his job. That’s when everything fell into perfect place. Turns out his job has been begging him to stay – and just got word that the state is going to let his facility build a ropes course/climbing wall and want him to oversee the project and after it’s completed. If you know Brad at all, you know this is essentially his dream job. Then we found a rent-free place to live: his grandmother had a stroke in January (thankfully she is almost fully recovered) and moved into an “apartment” with Brad’s aunt & uncle and cousins. They have told us we can stay in her house while we’re trying to get everything settled, all we have to pay for is utilities. This is HUGE, especially if it takes awhile to sell my house down here – we’ll still only be making one house payment and a very affordable one at that. So that’s a huge blessing. His uncle also found me a part-time job making better money than I currently make and very flexible hours that let me work essentially whenever I need.

So, back to the school thing. I’m taking the LSAT next month (two weeks before the wedding, yes I am insane). Even if I don’t do well on that, I’m going to go to graduate school. With him being so close to DC, Baltimore, and the Pennsylvania state border, I have a total of probably 25+ schools to choose from. Whereas in Charlotte I have one law school and 1 graduate program other than an MBA. I don’t want to leave everyone and everything in Charlotte but I think this is the best thing for us at this particular time. I’m really hopeful that we’ll come back to the Charlotte area after I get my degree (in whatever!) but we’ll have to see how the job market is then.

In other news, Amber and I have decided to train and run a half-marathon in November (right before I leave for Maryland). I’ve never done an *official* half marathon so I’m excited to start training again. I’m not setting out to break any records or anything mind you – I had signed up for a half marathon last year but thanks to my lovely wisdom teeth infection, I had to back out at the very last minute. I was ticked. But this is for real!

Okay I think I’ve probably rambled long enough. Have a lovely afternoon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment