Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Minor suckage today.

Went to the social security office today to try and get my social security card changed. Actually I went last week and attempted this but apparently the marriage license they send you in the mail is completely worthless. I was so excited, too – there were maybe 2 people in line and I stood there for probably 5 minutes, max. Unfortunately because the marriage license I had wasn’t *certified*, they shot me down and told me I’d have to come back later.


Today I went, same time, different day and it was about 25 people deep. No big deal, I’m a patient person, I can wait. A lady in front of me in line makes a comment about how she brought absolutely everything with her so she would have anything they possibly asked for. What is she there for, you ask? Oh, she threw away her social security card (this is important). I made a comment about how, yeah, I was here last week but brought the wrong marriage license. She gives me this dirty look and goes, “Well, how many marriage licenses do you have???” and turns around. I realized she thought I had more than one license to more than one guy, possibly at different times. No, I just didn’t have the *certified* one last week.

So anyways, about 25 minutes later, her two buddies she had befriended had gone through the line and left so I assume she decided I was an acceptable chit-chat partner because she started making small talk. I quietly made a comment about how I thought it was interesting they only had 3 windows (only 2 were open) considering how busy they always are. She goes into this lecture of how she’s an economics and civics teacher and how she understands all sides of it and that if they opened more windows they’d have to hire more people and raise taxes and it just wouldn’t help a thing. I just kind of smile and nod, not knowing how to respond to that. Eventually I say how nice it would be if we could just do some of the more simple tasks online or through the mail (I know my mom had her name changed through the mail). She goes into this tirade about how she just would absolutely NOT send ANY of her information through the mail, ABSOLUTELY not. I wanted to ask her if she realized that her new social security card would be coming *gasp* through the mail.


Her number is called, she goes to a window. The next number is almost immediately called and it’s three Asian people who had been behind me in line, filling out 3 different applications. I assumed that they would take awhile, as it appeared they were filing for social security cards for citizenship – especially since teacher lady was there simply to get a new social security card since she so smartly threw away.


Shows what I know. The group of three people got finished, my number was called and I was done in about 2 minutes – and teacher lady was still at the window, even with all her perfectly organized information in a second grader’s folder.

Some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment