Sunday, July 8, 2012

Magic Mike

Here's the thing.

I never really had any desire to see Magic Mike. It wasn't a movie that I considered to be on my "must watch" list (although, to be fair, very rarely does a movie make that list for me). But when I was asked out for a "girls" night by my husband's cousin, her mom and my mother-in-law, I said sure, why not.

Look, I'm a Christian. I've read those blogs and articles about how Christian women shouldn't support these types of movies and they're detrimental to marriages. Sorry, I don't get it.

I didn't go to see the movie to "get my rocks off." I didn't go with a pad and pen to write down all the crazy new moves I could tell my husband to try. I simply went to watch a silly movie with some of the women in my life to giggle at a movie that we couldn't giggle at with our men. I bonded with these women over this stupid/silly movie. Doesn't that count for anything?

I think sometimes we take life too seriously as Christians. Everything is not black and white. Me going to watch Magic Mike will not destroy my marriage any more than any other movie with sexual connotations would. And okay, you can tell me that I shouldn't watch any movie like that. For the most part, I rarely watch movies. But let's be real, movies without sex these days is arguably only certain Disney movies. It's part of this culture now, like it or hate it.

It was a silly movie. If a movie destroys my marriage, then let's be honest - the marriage was standing on shaky ground to begin with.

Judge all you want to. But Magic Mike did not make me any less of a Christian. Magic Mike is not harming my marriage. Magic Mike has not changed my views of what I believe to be right and wrong. Magic Mike was a movie to giggle at and make a bunch of women feel like we're teenagers again.

I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment