Well my husband finally made it home yesterday. He works at the top of a steep, curvy, mountainous road so when there's snow it's always a toss up. We went riding around, looking at the town and boy did I not know the damage that had been done.
I'm not *happy* that my next door neighbor was taken to the hospital...but we are incredibly lucky that our road was plowed early yesterday morning as a result. The road was melting and it made it really easy for us to get out of the house and get into town. I couldn't believe how many roads were shut down. The interstate was shut down - tractor trailers were having to sleep on the road, cars were being forced to make U-turns to go southbound. Neighborhoods were completely snowed in -by that I mean, there was so much snow the plows couldn't get in...and even when the plows could get in, the snow drifts were filling everything up with snow. It's going to be at least another week before life returns to normal up here. We might be close to Baltimore and DC, but it's still a small town. Not exactly at the top of their "dig them out" list. I'm wondering if my job will even start on Monday.
On that note, school stuff is pretty much complete.
Johns Hopkins application stuff got sent off on Monday (Masters of Communications degree) - I'm sure it hasn't made it yet because the mail hasn't been running, but at least it's off. The only thing lacking on it is the reference letters and I'm going to try to follow up with them next week to make sure they got them in. The big thing with them is 1) It's a big name school and 2) Starting next January I can finish my degree fully online. Meaning if we move somewhere, I don't have to try to figure out my school situation again.
I've got Shippensburg complete and ready to go (Masters of Communications). My biggest concern with them is 1) what they show on their website as their requirements and what they sent in a letter as their requirements...don't match up. I specifically chose programs that I didn't have to take the GMAT or the GRE. (Well, as long as you had a certain undergraduate GPA that is) They're saying I need test scores but I'm hoping they just didn't get the transcript yet.
I submitted Widener yesterday (Law school). If I can't get in there, I probably can't get in anywhere. Taking the LSAT 2 weeks before the wedding probably wasn't the smartest way to go about it - and I said as much in the essay. I've heard if you don't have strong scores, it's a good thing to try to explain why. So I did.
And on a last minute whim last night I applied for Mount St. Mary's University (MBA with a concentration in Marketing). The Mount is a really local university just up the road (it's where we work out also), it's reasonably priced and, again, they didn't require a GMAT OR GRE if you had over a 3.4 gpa. I'll probably wind up having to take more prerequisites because I didn't take many business courses in undergraduate...but I think I'll be okay. Brad took plenty of business courses and I think I could figure it out. One of my references from Wingate doesn't think I should shoot for an MBA, but I dunno. It could work for me.
I think the hardest thing is - I can't pinpoint what I want to do with my life. Well, I take that back, I know what I'd LIKE to do with my life, but it's not exactly something that makes sense at this point in my life. We're not settled yet, especially if we wind up moving again soon. I also don't know what is smarter - to just get a degree anywhere...or try to get it from a big name school. I didn't go to a big name school - I went to a small school no one has ever heard of. I don't know if it's in my best interests to just GET a degree...or get one from a school that you've heard of.
Well, those are my options for now. Hopefully the mail will start running soon and I'll be able to get all this stuff in the mail.
Off to wake up the hubby!
No comments:
Post a Comment