Friday, April 1, 2011

Looking at pictures from my phone makes me happy :)

Shelter/abandoned animals really do make the best pets. We had a pet we paid hundreds of dollars for once and while I loved her dearly - she just didn't appreciate her life the way the others have. They really do know when you've rescued them from a bad situation.

Chloe was abused before we got her. She was all skittish and terrified of people - men in particular. The slightest noise or movement would send her running in fear to the nearest dark corner.

A year later, she's come so far I can't even believe it. She warmed up to my parents within two hours of them being here. By the end of the day, she was curled up fast asleep with my mom. She recognizes Tabetha as soon as she walks in the door.

I look at her all curled up at night under blankets with Brad and I and just wonder if she ever thinks about her old life. How she spent the first year of her life huddled outside in an outdoor kennel during the blizzards. How she barely had any food and had never been to a vet. I see this look of content on her face that just makes me melt inside.

She looks like such a little kangaroo!

She's a completely different dog than she was a year ago. I saw this dog in her a year ago, but she didn't have enough confidence in herself to let anyone in.

It's harder with Roxy. She's been such a happy dog from the beginning. I doubt she's had any hardship in her life other than she was either abandoned or separated from her original family. I searched for months after we got her, sure that a family was out there looking for her. As attached as I was to her by that point, I knew if someone found my dogs...I would do anything to get them back. But I never found anything.

I didn't think we would see much difference in Roxy in the first year. She's always loved people. Our biggest hurdle with her was obedience and getting her to like other dogs again (but according to the kennel, she only gets mean with other dogs when we're around. When we're gone, she's fine with other dogs so maybe it's a protection thing). But I have seen a difference. She is absolutely the most goofy, playful animal I have ever met. I'll find her in the hallway by herself, barking and chasing herself (not her tail, just herself). I'll find her on the bed, turning somersaults by herself. She'll bark at Chloe then run away when she wants her to play. This dog never has a bad day. She's never sad. She's just a bundle of energy and a 50 pound dog who thinks she's a lap dog. Even when she does something wrong (like chew through the wall!!) it's impossible to stay mad at that face that's always "smiling".

We have no idea what kind of dogs they are. We can't buy those stickers that say, "I love my Labrador." But I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. I'm a mutt lover for life. For less than $200 we got to bring home two of the most loving (fixed) animals and their first vet visit free.

Don't go to a shelter unless you're serious about getting a pet. I can't go in anymore because I just want to bring them all home with me. I can't imagine my life without these two anymore.





No comments:

Post a Comment